Friday, September 17, 2010

My Baby is Seventeen!!!!

Seventeen years ago today, I gave birth to my firstborn daughter, Hailey. It doesn't seem like that long ago, but a birth certificate doesn't lie, I suppose. I remember clear as day being her age myself. How I regret not treasuring each and every moment of her childhood...getting too busy with life and things that I thought were important, when really, they were silly.
I have had the blessing of watching Hailey transform into a beautiful young lady. Yet, still, a teenager, with some of the typical teenager traits that drive a mom crazy! Smart, beautiful, determined...those, of course, are not the traits I speak of when referring to a teenager, but they are what I think of when I think of my little Hailey.
I know that there are many moms who have gone before me as their own children have changed almost overnight from a child who is being raised to a young woman who simply needs guidance before she ventures off to live the rest of her life. Still, it is difficult for me to put into words what I am feeling as her mom at this moment. Although I am proud of her, I feel a sort of tearing of my heart as it seems she needs me less and less...

                                                         Happy Birthday Sweet Girl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life really does fly by. People say it all the time, but I don't think we truly grasp it. Who knew we'd be talking about cars, college, and careers so soon? Wasn't it just yesterday we were planning on our own futures? Now we watch our daughters plan theirs. How quickly time has passed.