Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Not Keeping Up With The Joneses

This time in our history it is so important that everybody take responsibility for their own household finances. It is time for us to stop looking to the right or to the left, checking out what this person has or what that person gave and live within your means. If I can afford to bless a friend with a somewhat pricey gift, I am not doing it so that they give me an equally as expensive gift. We have learned the hard way that credit is not an option in our home. Cash is King! If the cash isn't there, we don't buy it.

I love to give. Giving gifts is so fulfilling to me! Unfortunately, I have been unable to give as much as I would have liked to, but I know that it will soon come to an end and I will be able to give like I never have been able to before! Alessandro and I have been living Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University for about a year now and it has changed our lives. We have gotten creative when it comes to our dates and we have been humbled in other areas of finances.

If our finances are tied up in debt, then how can we be generous. If all we do is work not just full-time, but overtime in order to make ends meet, then how will we have any time left over to serve our community? We asked ourselves these questions and wondered if things would ever change. We agreed that things were not going to change unless we changed our mindset and behavior.

We shaved our budget and simplified life. We are almost completely debt free and will soon be in a position to give more of our time and money to others. How exciting!


This Christmas, remember that a thoughtful gift means more than an expensive gift, but most importantly, remember the reason for the season...the birth of Jesus Christ our Savior.

No comments: