Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 21, 2006...Perfect Wedding

Four years ago today, I married my best friend. I wanted to briefly share the story of our miracle wedding with many details left out because I could probably write a book on it.
We had the most beautiful wedding. It was a sit-down dinner in the backyard of Jerry and Rhonda Lilly. The weather was a perfect 74 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Quite different from the weather outside today...so rainy, cloudy and windy!
Miracle after miracle happened for our wedding. We didn't have much money so we were planning on a small wedding with some appetizers. Our invitations even said " Hors D'Oeuveres" on them. (Our invitations and programs were given to us as a gift by my cousin Kara, and she made them by the way.) Jerry and Rhonda asked us if we would let them provide a sit down dinner and they wouldn't take "no" for an answer. Chicken, broccoli, and rice was on the menu, along with appetizers and dessert (which included a chocolate fountain). Everything was amazing! Unfortunately, the only thing that was not amazing was our photographer who failed to get any photos of the chocolate fountain or the food...

My friends did my make-up, set up the tables, chairs and put together the place settings, centerpieces and bouquets.

 
One of my most favorite photographs! 
They also ran the music and the kids from our church's youth group refilled drinks and served the guests. There were about 120-150 special family members and friends present. We guesstimated that our wedding should have cost a minimum of $15,000. What we actually spent was right around $3,000. That included our regrettable photographer and our videographer. Our rehearsal dinner was gifted to us...my dress was a gift...our hotel room the night of our wedding was a gift (at the Ritz), our ride to the hotel was a gift. So, if you can do the math in your head, you will realize that out of our pockets we paid for my shoes, my veil (which I actually made), the cake, a few rentals, the photographer, the videographer, the flowers (go Costco!) some miscellaneous stuff,  and the wedding favors. Miracle??? I think so! Many of our loved ones got together to make our wedding day elegant and very memorable. God went above and beyond what I ever dreamed or expected for my wedding day!
Everything aside, perfect wedding day or not, I am so thankful for my husband and my marriage. I have truly enjoyed our growth together over the last four years. We have experienced many difficulties and have grown closer together through them. We have also experienced many, many joys and through those too, have grown closer together. 

Thank you to everyone who made our day so special!

No comments: