Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Where I've Been...

Oh! I miss blogging! My life has been a whirlwind the entire month of December up until now.  We traveled to  El Paso to visit my family over Christmas and once we got back I was out of commission for a while.

Nora with her Gidi (my dad)

We had a great Christmas, but traveling with Luca and Nora was an experience in and of itself. I was more sleep deprived than I have ever been! Yes, that includes more sleep deprived than I was with a brand new baby. When we go to my parent's house, I sleep in my old room with Alessandro (when he's there) and Nora. Luca sleeps in his own room and Hailey in her's. Nora didn't sleep well and neither did we. Not sure which came first in this case, the chicken or the egg! Another factor was the fact that there are 5 dogs at my parent's house...I am allergic and was itchy and congested the entire time. We drove home the day after Christmas and it is not a big surprise that on New Year's Eve, I got sick. My immune system was probably down from exhaustion.

I have never been laid out like that from an infection before! It started with a sore throat and then I completely lost my voice. By Friday, New Year's Day, I was really feeling bad and thought I should go to the Walgreen's clinic, just in case. I was diagnosed with Acute Pharyngitis and told to take Muconex. I was told it was safe with breastfeeding, but that I needed to increase my fluids. Three doses later, I saw a significant decrease in my milk supply and had a frustrated little girl on my hands who doesn't take a bottle! I quit the musonex and called the Le Leche League for some advice. I began taking Fenugreek and pumping 3 times a day to increase my supply, all the while, still sick. A couple of days later, I was still laid out on the couch with fever, chills and a crazy cough. I called the nurse practitioner at the clinic and explained to her how I was feeling and at that point she told me it sounded like the flu and I just needed to drink plenty of fluids and wait it out. Several days after that, I had to take Luca into the clinic for a rash he developed on his leg and she took one look at me and informed me that I didn't look any better. She decided to prescribe some antibiotics. A few days into the medication, I finally started to feel better. Ten full days of lying on my couch! Only moms can understand what it is like to be sick and have nobody to take care of you, but still have others to take care of! We moms don't get days off! I am grateful to Hailey and Alessandro because when they were home, they were a huge help! Thankfully, nobody else in the house got sick.

Luca doing what he does best...eating icing!

So, I am back and have renewed energy. So much time has passed and I have so much to share, but if I tried to say it all in one blog, it would be ridiculously long. I will give it out in bits and pieces. The photos are really just to add some color to this post!
Below are my two sisters, Keturah and Salena.


My New Year started out a battle, but I intend to win in 2010 and am excited to see what God has in store for us!

No comments: