Sunday, March 13, 2011

Where do they get this stuff?

Sometimes my kids say things and I am clueless as to where they heard it in the first place. Luca, especially, is like a parrot these days. He repeats everything and takes everything in.
We had to go to a funeral the other day and as we were sitting quietly in the pew, my 3 year old taps my leg and whispers "Mom, rub my back!" It was pretty cute, so I cracked a smile and started rubbing. I couldn't quite figure out how he even knew about back rubs! Radio, television, where??? I am about 98% sure he didn't hear it from me...I am not a back-rub kind of person. Don't get me wrong...I love getting massages, I just don't like giving back rubs.
This whole scenario, along with other words and comments he has been making, made me reflect on what exactly I am allowing his innocent ears to hear. What is on the radio when my kids are in the car with me? What is on television? What conversations are they present for? What terminology am I using? Our home gets even more complicated with a teenager's vocabulary in the house. Hailey's language is innocent, but she uses some slang words that I would rather my toddler not use.  Taking it a step further, I begin to evaluate what attitudes am I demonstrating to my children in everyday life as everyday situations present themselves. Am I dramatic? Is my voice raised? Am I rude or do I treat others with love and respect? Am I joyful or negative? It is a lot of pressure to be a parent...our children will react the same way they see their parents react.
I know there is so much in society that we can't prevent our children from being exposed to, but I also know that I have to take responsibility for those areas in which I do have control over.
Self reflection isn't a bad thing if the end result yields a better you!

No comments: