Sunday, November 15, 2009

Single Moms and Single Men



What do I know about single moms? Well, I was a single mom for 12 years, so I know quite a bit. For years I struggled with the idea that I was undesirable to any man who was going to be worth having because I came with "baggage". I thought that if a man had a choice between marrying me along with  a child that wasn't his or marrying a girl without children or the baggage that comes with single parent homes, he certainly wouldn't choose me! I will tell you that I agonized over this! I didn't come up with this notion on my own, there were people in my life who expressed this to me and I adopted the thought process into my own life. Then, one day, the Lord ministered to me that Hailey was going to be a tremendous blessing to whomever her stepfather was going to be because children are a blessing from the Lord. He also ministered to me that it was because of Hailey that He was going to give me someone great. If any of you know my husband, you know that God fulfilled the promise he put in my heart.
Did you know that one of the most humble, loving men in history was Joseph? You know, Joseph the carpenter, the husband of Mary, mother of God? Do you realize that Mary was a single mother? She was. She was a young, teenage, single mom who loved God. Joseph married her, adopted her son, Jesus and raised him as his own. Mary, the most blessed of women, was a single mom. Think about that.


A call to men, don't overlook the single moms around you. They are amazing in more ways than one. Let Joseph be an example to you. For a more in-depth look at this piece of history, watch this video sermon from Mark Driscoll. I wish I had heard it as a struggling, single mom. How it would have encouraged me! Share this with single men and single moms everywhere.   
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/luke/jesus-birth-prophesied


The sermon is an hour long and for some reason I was unable to download the clip, so the part I want to make sure you see begins at minute 55:00. Fast forward to that and listen to the end. God is good and He has a future and a hope for you.

2 comments:

brightgirls said...

That was a lovely trip down memory lane Kenya- the pictures that is. Your story touches me because I was closest to you during those years and I had no idea you felt like you had "baggage". You were incredibly strong! You and Allesandro are both blessed to have found each other!

Unknown said...

Kenya...touches my heart. Love you sweer girl. Glad your wait was worth it!