Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hailey's South Africa Trip

I have been thinking about how I could write about Hailey's mission trip considering I am not the one who went to South Africa. I thought about it and came up with the perfect solution...you will hear from Hailey herself. She came back and wrote a letter to people who supported her both financially and prayerfully.

So, in her own words...

"Thank you so much for your support as I ventured to South Africa this summer. My trip was filled with so many memories and new friends. I gained so much knowledge about different cultures, people, and most importantly God.


In the beginning of the trip I did not know why I was there, and then I realized what a privilege it was to have God use me this summer. This was truly a once in a life time opportunity as people from all over the world were there in attendance of the FIFA World Cup.


We spent most of our days in the slums of South Africa in a town named Diepsloot. I cannot even begin to explain the level of poverty that plastered this area. There was sewage running through the dirt roads, kids running around barefoot begging for water, and the stench was nearly unbearable. These people craved love more than anything.

Over 600 lives were saved during a three week time period. Their hearts are so open and they only want someone to talk to. Over the course of my trip my day out on ministry consisted of ministering to adults and for the kids we reviewed a lesson and played songs for them to play, dance, and praise to. The children were also given opportunities to accept Jesus into their lives and many did so.


The group I was with was also given the opportunity to go on a safari. I saw elephants, zebras, and I got to pet a baby lion. After the safari, a dinner was hosted for us on the mountain in the middle of South Africa!


The whole trip was a great experience and I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to go. Thank you for making yourself a part of my adventure."

No comments: