Thursday, July 22, 2010

Jim Deakin: In person

Most of my readers know that I am passionate about politics and the health of our great country. The senate elections currently underway have been very interesting and very important, especially during this time in history

While I respect Senator McCain for the long time service and sacrifice he has contributed to this country, and I enjoyed J.D. Hayworth's radio talk show, neither of these men hold true to the conservative values I feel are so important. I never would have thought that I would give a "no-name candidate" a chance, but after watching the debates on Friday and Saturday night, a driving force inside of me insisted that I find out more about the "other guy", as labeled by KFYI's Barry Young. Following the debate on Friday night, I was completely disgusted with McCain and Hayworth slamming one another, while Deakin sat there appearing uncomfortable and unable to put a full sentence together without falling over his words. I was so discouraged...then, the Saturday night debate in Tucson invigorated my hope for the outcome of this election! Jim Deakin answered each question with a level of ease that was missing the night before. His answers were intelligent and made sense. In the meantime, McCain and Hayworth continued to sling mud at one another and put on quite a show!

I recently began writing for Examiner.com and thought I would ask Mr. Deakin for an interview to learn more about him and help to inform others as well. I extended the same invitation to J.D. Hayworth and John McCain and I am still waiting for their response. Mr. Deakin, on the other hand, agreed to an in person interview. Remember, all I knew of this candidate was what I saw on the debates...I had never met him before and only knew that there was another guy running. I had heard of rumors regarding another candidate taking votes away from Hayworth and even heard that Deakin was actually working undercover for the McCain campaign to make sure Hayworth lost. How ridiculous! I never did believe those falsehoods.


 I met Jim and his wife Adonia at Barnes and Noble at Tempe Marketplace and spent about half an hour with the couple. He is a very warm man with a great personality and a lot of courage to put himself and his family out there for public scrutiny. He is a pro-life Christian conservative disgusted with the direction of our country and concerned for his children and now, his grandchildren. The couple recently had their first grandbaby and they are thrilled! Adonia is a very "real" woman, no acting here. She is just as passionate as her husband about bringing change to our country. Her phone rang off the hook because she was taking all of the campaign calls because with the campaign's budget, they are unable to hire any help. The entire campaign is run by volunteers.


A refreshing breath of fresh air in the political scene, most likely because he is untainted by politics as usual! Exactly what we need in Washington to represent the people! Dare we take a chance on this man with no political record to speak of? How fed up are we the people?

So, you are probably wondering by now, what exactly does he stand for? Small government and everything that comes with it. You can read more about where he stands politically and find the link to donate to his campaign at http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-57251-Chandler-Conservative-Examiner~y2010m7d22-Jim-Deakin-Who-is-this-political-newcomer.

No comments: