Friday, September 18, 2009

Hailey's Sweet 16!!!

I know you have been waiting for the details on the Sweet 16, but the day was jam packed from start to finish and wasn't over until 11:00pm, at which point I intended to get on the computer and write, but Hailey had a paper she had to turn in by midnight!
Hailey's friends surprised her by bringing her birthday balloons to school, one of which played an extremely annoying song when hit. It was very cute. All day long she had to carry these balloons with her, but she loved every minute of it!
I have a Bible study at my home every Thursday morning and my dear friends who are a part of it were so generous of their time that they stayed at my home while Luca napped so I could take Hailey to get her Driver's License. I picked her up from school early and off we went. She had to take the test in my big Tahoe, but I was certain she would pass. Well, in she came and when I asked her how she did on the test she said she had failed it. Again, I was certain she would pass, so I said "No you didn't". Then, she began to tell me the details of her experience and I knew she couldn't be making that story up, not to mention the tears welling up in her eyes. Once I realized she didn't pass and was on the verge of crying, tears began to well up in my eyes. No big deal, really, after all, she has the opportunity to retake it the very next day, but to see that look of disappointment in your child's eyes is a heart breaker. C'mon, you all know what I am talking about. Anyhow, she "touched" the cone, which I guess represents a car. Automatic fail. Then I remembered what was coming later and I felt much better, but Hailey knew of nothing coming later. Kinda like how our God sees the big picture for His children. El Roi "the God who sees", doesn't only see what is right in front of us, He sees the whole story from beginning to end. He knows His plans are good. What comfort I take in that! Anyhow, we went home discussing other possible cars she could take her test in, but could not come up with any good solutions. When we got back to my house, the ladies in my group were still hanging out and we told them what had happened. One of them, without hesitation, offered her car to Hailey to take her exam. Hailey was so excited. The rest of the day, she was being teased by friends and family about failing her test, which irritated her, but also put it all on a lighter note. It definitely gave us something to laugh about. We have to laugh at ourselves through life and not let everything become so serious!
Moving on to the next segment of the day, I left the house to pick up dessert for the birthday festivities. Hailey is not a big fan of cake, but loves the pastries from AJ's. I had planned to get an assortment only to find that AJ's had closed its doors last week. Talk about disappointing. I tried two other places only to be even more disappointed. We ended up having to settle for a cake, even if only to have something to put the candles in.
Here's where the real fun starts...my parents, along with my grandma and sister, drove up from El Paso to surprise Hailey with a car! Did I mention they had 5 dogs with them too and could only stay one night??? My dad and mom's gift to Hailey was a 2001 Chevy Blazer. Hailey had no clue! We got ready and left the house coordinating timing over text with my sister, Salena. They had to come to my house to get the dogs settled in and get to Grimaldi's before we did. The timing all worked because we picked up her friend, Cassidi and I ran some meaningless errands. Upon arriving to the restaurant, the whole family was sitting down waiting for us with camera in hand. Hailey couldn't believe they were there! We sat and had a wonderful meal of pizza and salad, stories and laughs. We were going to head back to our house for cake and presents, but as we walked outside, there was a vehicle with a big red bow on it. Hailey's face was unforgettable! Then, of course we had to tease her about the fact that now she had a car...but if only she could drive it! It was a memorable evening, one she will never forget!





Today, I took her to retake her driving test and she passed with flying colors! What a relief that was to me.

No comments: