Saturday, September 19, 2009

Truth or Truth Twisted???

One of the great things about having been so young when I had Hailey, is now that she is a teenager, the shenanigans that she and her friends may try to pull are not foreign to me. First, let me just clarify that Hailey did not try to pull anything as a driving teen tonight, I was only reminded of a trick we used to pull on our parents, growing up in a border town when she and her girlfriend were heading to a party. I know what you are thinking, but it was not one of "those" parties I remember going to as a teen where there was alcohol, drugs and everything that goes with the combination. It was a birthday party...I talked with the mom and was assured there would be constant supervision and no alcohol. With that information on hand, Hailey had my permission to drive herself along with one of her friends to the party. So, the girls got ready and off they went. They were gone about 5 minutes when I got a call from Hailey's girlfriend letting me know that they were going to Taco Bell. I chuckled to myself because when I was a senior in high school, my parents gave me a lot of freedom. I had two rules: No going to Juarez, Mexico (across the border) the very same place that has been plastered all over the news, and if I was going to be out past midnight, call home to let them know. Well, the second rule was easy to follow. The first rule impossible, at least in my mind at the time! Let's just say that my parents thought I loved Taco Bell, which in fact, I did, but it was also my way of going across the border without lying to my parents about where I was going. Of course, both you and I know that I was outright lying to my parents, but I rationalized it and it made me feel better about going. Just about every weekend, I would tell them that we were going to make a "run for the border" and then head over to "Tommy's house". We did both. Here is how the night went: Taco Bell for a snack, Juarez for the dancing, and Tommy's for a recap before heading home. Hailey gets a kick out of this story. I was teasing them tonight about where they were really going and they just laughed! By the way, you should have seen the look on my parents faces when I came clean...several years later when I was "all grown up". Now, as I have raised a teenager, I have come to realize that the rules our parents put in place were there for a reason.

No comments: