Sunday, October 11, 2009

Church at Home???

Church was very interesting today...I wish I could say it was the message, and then again maybe it was, but for me it was walking the hallways with my sweet Nora.

I had to wake her from her nap to get to church in the first place, then once we were there, she was so discontented that I missed church altogether anyway!  Now that Hailey can drive herself, I may have to skip it until it doesn't completely disrupt my baby's day anymore. I am feeling a little saddened not to be there every week, but also very content that I have come to terms with this season in my life. I guess it will be me on the couch with a cup of coffee and either Brian Houston or Joel Osteen. Both very inspirational to me!

Today I made my green chile enchiladas for Nicole and her family. I have mentioned her before. She just had her 3rd baby and he is so cute!  For those of you who find yourself praying for miracle labor and delivery experiences, this girl has them! She actually likes the labor and delivery process. I have to admit I am with her on that. She opts out of chemical pain control and has natural births with very little pushing!

When I had Hailey, I was so young that I just did what everybody told me to do without really having any opinion of my own. I got the works, IV medication, the epidural, the episiotomy, and I pushed for 2 hours on top of all that!  Having gone into the labor and delivery nursing field, I was priviledged to be a part of so many amazing births as well as some I wish I didn't have memory of. When I got pregnant with Luca, my desires were pretty much formed. Alessandro and I took a Bradley class and I became one of those patients I used to dread having!  It used to be that as an L&D RN, you were not trained to labor patients naturally. You were trained to push the epidural. It always made me nervous to have a patient without an epidural because I was not as in control of the situation as I liked to be. Well, after having witnessed  Bradley patients and others who had opted for a natural childbirth, I came to the conclusion that they seemed to recover much more quickly and all around have a better experience with fewer complications. I set out to accomplish a drug free childbirth with both Luca and Nora. My goals were accomplished and as exhilarating an experience as it was, I am glad I won't be doing it again! I have many stories about each one of the deliveries, but I will wait to share those at another posting.


Just about every night before Luca goes to bed, Alessandro plays a little game with him called "I'm Gonna Get You!" When he "gets" him, he gets "the claw". Every single time I witness this I laugh!  Laughing is so good for the soul!

No comments: