Sunday, October 25, 2009

Of a Political Nature...

I was sent an e-mail that was stating a quote by Abraham Lincoln and was compelled to forward it. I have become prey to forwarding e-mails that had no validity, so I always check them out before I forward them. I googled "Abraham Lincoln quotes" and came across this website: http://home.att.net/~rjnorton/Lincoln78.html

There is a list of quotes and sources are all referenced. There was also an e-mail at the end of the page for questions. I didn't see the quote that was sent to me on this e-mail, so I e-mailed it to the man running this site and asked him if it was, in fact, an authentic Lincoln quote. He responded within hours and said that it was not.

As I read through the quotes that were authentic Lincoln quotes, I came across this one and thought I would post it.
"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Reply to New York Workingmen's Democratic Republican Association" (March 21, 1864), pp. 259-260.


Proverbs 13:11 "Wealth [gained by] dishonesty will be diminished, But he who gathers by labor will increase."

No comments: