Tuesday, October 6, 2009

When God Uses Our Kids to Humble

Today was one of those days where pulling out the camera was not even on the radar. I am not going to go into all of the horrors of the day, but I will let you in on the most amusing one. I had to take Hailey's car to get its emissions testing and  its registration at the DMV. I got out of the house early so that I could get everything done before my appointment with the chiropractor at 10:30 am. The timing was perfect and I pulled into the chiropractor's office right on time. I had such a sense of accomplishment because the day was progressing with such perfection in regards to everything being executed without a hitch. Until...I decided to take a look at the checks I had written and noticed that the account number at the bottom of the check was from an old account that we had closed months back. Why that checkbook was still around, I have not a clue! The grand total was several hundred dollars. So, not only did I write checks on a closed bank account, but I wrote the GOVERNMENT checks on a closed bank account! I had to go back to both places, explain what had happened and make it right. If I have not said it before, the DMV is one of my least favorite places ever! I was incredibly frustrated when my daughter, Hailey enlightened me. I am telling her about how this was the worst possible day and that I could go to jail and she looked at me and told me that I was so dramatic I should have been an actress. Then she said, "Mom, the worst possible day would be if your entire family died, not that you wrote a couple of bad checks on accident." Yes, the jail comment was dramatic and I knew that when I said it. I didn't, however, expect for such maturity and clarity to come from my teenager!  God uses her to prune me still and again, I am humbled. Sometimes the things that come from the mouth of babes are the very things that provoke us to change.
On a lighter note, it reminds me of the time, many years ago, when my 4 year old daughter looked up at me after we had taken a shower and she so innocently said, "Mommy, you have big thighs."  I was devastated!  I was in nursing school at the time and all we did back then was study and eat! Two months later, I was 20 pounds lighter. What great memories!
I tried to find some pictures from years ago to show you the above scenario...this was the best I could do.
This is before the comment:

This is 2 months after the comment:

No comments: